Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Flying away - Hair Photography

I was recently contacted by a Salon in Washington DC that was in need of some photo retouching. One of the hardest things to photograph well is hair photography. No matter how good the photographer/stylist/make-up artist are, there is almost always going to be a need for a retoucher. Fly-aways are that pain in the side of every hairstylist and they will almost always be in the picture no matter how hard you try to avoid them.


Please post your comments by clicking the link below. If you've got questions, please pose them in our Retouchers and Retouching Discussion Threads.

2 comments:

"Mister Nasty Clamps" said...

Kristina:

Yes, fly away hairs are a pain in the butt -- and in your demo photo you've done a great job of removing the fly aways -- but I'm even more impressed by your ability to smooth out shadows. Your work in removing the neck and nose shadows from the demo is absolutely perfect, and I'm wondering if you might be willing to share some of the techniques used for this particular image.

Matt

Kristina Sherk said...

Matt,
Thanks for your nice words.
Step One: Was to mask the shaddowed area and play with the midtones (in levels or curves) to try to match the color as best I could.
Step two: Used the clone and heal tools to decrease the appearance of the line of the selection that I had made.
I have started to explain how I do things in some of my more recent posts!